Probate Office Records
|East Kent wills and probate records 1396 - 1858
|© M. J. &
D. G. Cozens. March 2005 - December 2010 Update 7
|All surviving wills from 1550 to1858 indexed
only permitted for private or academic use
84,085 people, 138,035 records
|Origin of records
civil probate courts were created in 1858, wills were probated
by ecclesiastical courts. In Kent
the majority of wills written by testators living east of a line from
Medway to Horsmonden were probated by the Achdeaconry
and Consistory (CCC) courts of Canterbury.
wills probated by the Prerogative
Court of Canterbury (PCC) in London originated from the
relatively wealthy individuals living mainly in the south of England
and most of Wales (originally the ecclesiastical province of
Canterbury) and are
held by the
London. The Prerogative Court of Canterbury in London was the only probate court from 1653 to 1660.
Wills were drawn up by testators or clerks in the
parishes and witnessed by local people. When the wills were probated at
they appear to
have been copied with the witnesses signatures or marks being written
in the text. Many have survived either as
originals or probate office copies in the PRC16 (ADC) & PRC31
some point in time the wills were copied again into
the register volumes in the PRC17 (ADC) and PRC32 (CCC) series.
indexed all the probate documents up
His work was published in 1920 by KAS and has been retained with
corrections as it is still the best record of early probate
documents at Canterbury.
We have indexed from the original documents:-
Consistory Court registered wills
1550-1857 and original wills from 1559-1857
Archdeaconry Court registered and original wills from 1550-1858
New year dates
In England before 1752, the Julian Calendar New Year's Day
was the 25th
March (Lady Day). In 1752 New Year's day was
1st January in the Gregorian Calendar.
Our thanks to:-
Cathedral Archives & Library staff for
their assistance and access to records.
Studies staff for help with original documents.
Society for hosting this project.
© M. J. &
D. G. Cozens December 2010 This
Kent Archaeological Society site created by M.
with the help of Maureen
East Kent wills 1396-1659